Celebrate summer berries with this simple and sensuous blueberry crisp.
2½ - 3 pints of fresh blueberries, picked over for stems
4 T Sonoran Desert Blueberry Dark Balsamic Vinegar
2 T granulated sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
½ C all-purpose flour
½ C rolled oats
3 T light brown sugar
¼ t ground cinnamon
freshly ground nutmeg
6 T cold, unsalted butter, plus more to grease the dish
4 T Sonoran Desert Lemon Olive Oil, divided, plus more to drizzle
1 C + 1 T confectioner's sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350⁰ and butter a 9” or 10” pie plate, cast iron skillet, or casserole.
2. In a large bowl combine the blueberries, balsamic vinegar, granulated sugar, and the lemon zest. Toss well and allow to sit while you prepare the topping. Use three whole pints of berries if using a 10” dish.
3. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the cold butter and using a pastry blender or a large fork cut the butter into the flour mixture. Combine until only pea-sized pieces of butter remain.
4. Add the blueberry mixture to the prepared dish. Top with the crisp mixture and gentle press it into the blueberries. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the top. Bake at 350⁰ for 30 – 40 minutes, until it is bubbling and the top starts to brown.
5. As the crisp bakes whisk together the lemon juice, pinch of salt, remaining olive oil, and all of the confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and thick.
6. When the crisp is done baking allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Drizzle with the Meyer Lemon Glaze to serve. Also great served with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.